Monday, February 25, 2013

Day 56: T.R.O.U.B.L.E




Besides being difficult and completely overwhelming, my Spending Fast is also pretty selfish.
I took it upon myself to make the decision to just stop spending money. Everything revolves around me. How I'm going to get home, what I'm going to eat, how can I get this or that, my wallet is empty....

I, I, I. Me, me, me.
I imagine I sound like quite the nightmare.


I didn't think of anyone else when I committed to this. Before I stopped spending my money, I should have at least had the decency to run it by the one guy that I spend the most time with! He spends so much on me. He gets me dinner, he gets my drinks, he buys my cabs home. Essentially, while I'm cutting my spending in half, his is DOUBLING.

I try to carry my weight by making dinner or cleaning his apartment while he's at work, but I realize it's not necessarily equal.
So after a number of tense nights and quite the argument (and an apology burrito), I've decided that for the sake of my relationship I need to set aside an envelope of cash at the beginning of the month. We can use it for drinks or the movies. Whatever we want.

Since one of the objectives of this Fast to focus on nurturing relationships, I'd say the boyfriend's good mood falls under the NEEDS catergory. Wouldn't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment